ISD Corporation, being both a Ukrainian and European steel producer, takes a responsible approach to global ecological problems which are of concern to key industrial players looking for their complex solution.
Action Plan by 2012 spelled out by Kyoto Protocol and ratified by the majority of states, seems to be one of the most effective and flexible instruments in solving the problem of climate change by introducing quotes for the emissions of greenhouse gases.
In Ukraine Kyoto Protocol was ratified in 2004. Protocol introduction mechanism involves the projects of joint implementation aimed to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases and increase the effectiveness of energy usage.
The potential advantages of the project of joint implementation introduction at ISD enterprises include the following:
- The reduction of greenhouse gas emissions of anthropogenic origin. Due to modernization program at áíë the volume of emissions per one ton of steel will reduce by more than twice: from 2.1 tons per ton of steel annually up to 934 thous. tons of CO2-equivalents/annually. So, within five years the reduction of emissions volume will make 4.67 mln. tons. Such an indicator seems to be maximum, taking into account that typical limits of forecasted emissions reduction for the projects will be from 100 000 to 250 000 CO2 t/annually.
- The financial benefits related to selling certified units of emissions reduction are the following: the implementation of projects at ISD enterprises within the framework of Kyoto Protocol provides for receiving about 40 mln. dollars within 5-year period due to selling quotas for UER (units of emissions reduction). This money can be invested into further development of the company.
- Collaboration with leading world companies in the process of the project’s working out and commissioning.
- Building and developing the local potential and acquiring real-life experience with its further dissemination in the course of implementing similar projects in Ukraine and other countries.
- Eliminating the existing and future dependence on the deliveries of electric power from a single energy network will minimize the risk of electric power prices growth in the future.
- Increasing the energy sustainability of steel production on the whole.
Reduction of the emissions quantity is invoked by the following factors:
- Decreasing the volume of natural gas usage in open-hearth furnaces as compared to converters.
- Reducing the volume of blast-furnace gas in blooming while recycling economized gas at the existing heat and power station as a substitute of natural gas and electricity, derived from energy system.
- Reduced usage of raw materials, energy and steel spending due to the application of converters and continuous casting technology.