The Objects of modernization and general repair works
Special attention is given to maintaining the facilities in the operating status due to timely general and current repair works with the substitution and modernization of equipment to provide for an efficient work of mill’s facilities.
In 2010 the general repair works of BF №8 and BF №9 have been completed, as well as the general repair works of a number of other facilities: air-heaters №4 of BF №8 and №1 of BF №9, a mixer of a converter shop, continuous casting machine №1, and the energy equipment.
Technical modernization and reconstruction (major construction)
In 2009-2010 the implementation of the Program of Technical Modernization and Reconstruction of the plant goes on.
In September 2009 the construction and assembling works have been completed and a ladle-furnace facility №1 for the out of furnace treatment of steel has been commissioned. Its annual productivity is 1 mln t of processed steel. The facility is delivered by Siemens VAI (Austria). The commissioning of the object provided for ensuring the required steel characteristics in terms of chemical composition and temperature for casting at continuous casting machine. It facilitated increasing the quality of steel and raising the competitiveness of plant’s products.
In the short-term prospect it’s planned to complete the construction of filter-compensating device, the equipment is delivered by Nokian Capacitors. It will cover for a stable and productive work of a ladle-furnace facility.
In 2009-2010 it’s planned to carry on the construction and assembling works of the second ladle-furnace facility № 2 with an annual productivity of 2.3 mln t of processed steel, the equipment is delivered by Siemens VAI. It’s planned to complete the works and to commission the facility in 2012.
In 2009-2010 the construction of the auxiliary objects of a seven-stranded continuous casting machine № 1 commissioned in 2008 was continued. It will provide for the mill’s regular work and the achievement of a full project capacity.
In May 2009 the blooming continuous casting machine № 3 has been stopped for the reconstruction. The equipment and the settings of the functioning continuous casting machine have been demounted. New settings of equipment of the 7-stranded continuous casting machine will be constructed to produce billets and round bar (130–210 mm) with the productivity of 1.4 mln t/annually.
The equipment of a new continuous casting machine is supplied by VAI Pomini, Austria. It’s planned to complete the works and commission the continuous casting machine in the beginning of 2011.
The prospects of technical modernization
It’s planned to reconstruct the mill 350. The construction and assembling works will be carried out to install a medium-grade reinforcing mill 400/200 and the reinforcing and wire mill 200 with the total capacity of 2 mln t/annually of rolled section and structural shapes, fittings and rod. The project will be implemented in two stages. The equipment of the first stage is supplied by Danieli.
The long-term plans include the following activities:
- continuing the construction of a new blast furnace №4 (which has been started in 2008) with a net volume of 1640 m³ with the complex of auxiliary objects in the industrial area of the decommissioned blast furnaces № 11 and №10, including the construction of the first stage of the area of dust coal fuel’s preparation and injection.
- the first stage of works is a part of the project of constructing a new agglomerating machine; it includes the modernization of the existing agglomerating shop with the construction of a ring cooler, a system of dust catching and gas purification which will allow to increase the productivity of agglomerating machine and reduce the emissions of polluting substances.
The introduction of new technologies
Alongside with the commissioning of new facilities and equipment advanced resource and energy efficient technologies are introduced. They provide for a high productivity and efficiency of production, quality and consumer characteristics of steel products meeting the world standards.
The participation of leading European companies supplying the equipment and technologies in joint projects guarantees high level of the mill’s innovative development, the implementation of resource and energy saving technologies and secures meeting the ecological requirements to protect the environment.
The existing technological processes of production, development and implementation of new technologies and equipment are updated on a regular basis by the technical departments of the plant jointly with production departments.
A number of innovative technologies have been introduced in the agglomeration production:
- The application of aluminium production wastes to enhance physico-chemical characteristics of a blast furnace slag.
- The application of chalky chips in the agglomeration slag. Chalky chips have been used in the iron ore mixture which helped to reduce the expenses for the production of agglomerate due to the substitution of limestone with cheaper chalky chips (the difference in price is about 12%) and decrease the expenses for the limestone production.
- The introduction of the agglomerate production at the agglomerating machines №№ 7-12 involving the mechanical influence on the upper level of sintered agglomerate after its leaving the chimney. The application of a new way of producing the agglomerate provides for lowering the leak-in of atmospheric air near the sides of sintering carriages, increases the vertical speed of sintering due to spending more air (containing oxygen) per unit of time. The specific productivity of agglomerating machines is to be increased by 7%. The consumption of solid fuel is decreased due to its full combustion per 1.5 kg/t of agglomerate.
- A new technology of using pyritic roasted product (the wastes of sulfuric production) has been developed and applied.
- Waterless tap hole clay has been introduced to stabilize the production of cast iron.
In steel production:
- The technology of smelting, out of furnace treatment and hot steel teeming has been tested in the converter shop. The given technology is implemented according to the scheme “converter – ladle-furnace facility- continuous casting machine”. The goal is teeming pseudo boiling, low carbon and low silicon steel grades.
- The peculiarity of the technology is the application of calcium carbide for partial or full substitution of traditionally used aluminium for the killing of steel with low contents of silicon. The given method of steel production provides for the teeming of “pseudoboiling” steel at the continuous casting machine for billets 130×130 mm ensuring the required level of steel teeming; the correspondence of macrostructure of continuously cast billets to the requirements of TU U-2-1222-98 is achieved, the cost of steel decreases.
- The technology of smelting, out of furnace treatment and teeming of axial steel is introduced. It is implemented in terms with the scheme “converter- ladle-furnace-unit- blooming continuous casting machine”. The goal is broadening the range of teemed steel at continuous casting machine №2, enhancing the quality of axial steel in comparison with the existing casting into ingots. The peculiarity of the technology is the application of flux cord wire with calcium silicon.
- The casting of billets 350×500 mm in size was mastered. It allowed preparing pipe billets of larger diameters (Ø 300-320 mm).
- The application of a pneumatic vibrator of an improved design provided for enhancing the quality of continuously cast billets.
- The teeming of low silicon semi-killed steel of grade st 70 has been mastered. It provided for broadening the range of products.
- The application of heat-insulating mixture of grade TIS-2Md during the casting of steel at continuous casting machine-1 and the industrial ladle with an increased height of board (by 100 mm) has increased the number of meltings in a series up to 32.
- The application of single circuit collectors of water cooling instead of two circuit air water collectors at the continuous casting machine -1 provided for the reduction of the continuous casting machine’s re-preparation time. The application of new collectors has not reduced the quality of billets.
- New technologies and new kinds of foundry products have been developed. The task was to reduce the net cost and broaden the range of products:
- The technology of casting refractory (chromous) cast iron to provide the blast furnace with own-produced technological equipment.
- The engineering documentation for the production of clinker bowls has been worked out to ensure the provision of the blast furnace shop with clinker bowls, the volume is 16.5 Í³.
- The engineering documentation for the production of the bandage of rotary kilns of lime burning department has been designed.
- The technology of filling molds has been developed and their production started at the department of cast iron of the blast furnace shop.
In the rolling production:
The range of products has been broadened:
- In rail and structural steel mill there appeared «í-1» profile for hammer mills of agglomerating plant, armor plates for ore-grinding mills (550×550, 270×290, 215×530, 210×420 mm);
- In axial rolling mill there appeared rough profile shapes for axes of railway main-line cars from continuously cast billets;
- The production of round billets (330 mm) from continuously cast billets 350×500 mm has been started in the new rolling shop.
- The technology of ultrasonic quality control of the round roll (120-300 mm in diameter) was introduced.