The Objects of reconstruction
- The commercial testing of a facility of pulverized coal injecting into blast furnaces №1 and №5 is being carried out; Küttner technologies are applied.
- The construction of a new oxygen bloc ëááÒ-60 №8 in the existing oxygen shop has been completed; Air-Liquide technology is applied, the commercial testing is being carried out.
- The construction of two lime kilns by Polysius AG goes on in the complex of the oxygen converter shop.
- The works aimed at the drop-hammer plant’s expansion are being carried out; a new shearing machine is to be installed.
- The electric power plant of a combined cycle with a general capacity of 303 megawatt is being constructed aimed to utilize gases of combustion and produce electric energy; Mitsubishi technology is applied.
The long term plans include:
- the construction of a new agglomerating plant including two agglomerating machines with the general annual productivity of 11 mln t of agglomerate with a new mixture of raw material;
- the overhaul of gas cleaning and dust collecting equipment of the existing agglomerating plant;
- the construction of the complex of a new blast furnace №2;
- the department of preparing and charging pulverized coal into blast furnaces №2, 3, and 4;
- the construction of the complex of three air blowers for sending the blowing into blast furnaces №1, 5;
- the construction of a new ladle furnace unit №2 in the oxygen converter shop;
- the overhaul of the equipment of mill 600;
- the development of the transport lines with the construction of new railway stations “Metal” and “Transfer Line”.
Between January and September 2010 6 facilities have been overhauled, including the following:
- The general repair works of the 3rd category (with the elements of 2nd) of a blast furnace №3 — in January-February (the duration is 39 days).
- The general repair works of the mill 3000 has been achieved in two stages: in February, the duration is 4 days and 15 hours and in July (at a period of stopping the mill due to production reasons) for 12 days.
- The general repair works of a group №4, namely the soakers of the blooming mill department have been fulfilled from November 2009 by August 2010.
- The general repair works of a heating furnace №4 TLC-2 were performed from February by September.
- In September the general repair works of a blast furnace №1 have been completed. They lasted 8 days, the stock distributor was replaced. The automatic control system was overhauled as well as the system of process control. (Hydraulics will be reconstructed in 2011).
- The general repair works of an ore and grab crane №5 of a blast furnace shop was carried out in July. It was performed within 17 days.
The repair works are carried out on a regular basis to provide for an operational capability of equipment.
The innovative technologies applied at the mill
The agglomeration production
The technology of agglomerate sintering with an increased portion of wastes of metallurgical production in the aggloburden is applied. It contributes to solving two tasks: the reduction of agglomerate cost due to decreasing the consumption of concentrate and solid fuel. The load on the ecosystem of the region is decreased.
The blast furnace production
The development of regimes of loading the charge with a bell free loading facility DP №1 allowed to optimize the forming of the needed gas flow due to the necessary radiused distribution of material which improved the rate of gas consumption and led to economizing energy resources (in comparison with a bell loading facility).
The complex of equipment for preparing and injecting of dust coal into blast furnaces №1 and №5 has been commissioned. The level of supplying 140-150 kg of dust coal per ton of cast iron has been reached. It allowed avoiding the natural gas consumption in blast furnaces.
The utilization of modern refractory concretes for the brickwork of root and trunk channels of foundry fields contributes to increasing the periods between repair works and reduces labour costs for repairing operations.
The project of transition to the usage of nitrogen (instead of steam) in the inter bell area of a blast furnace to increase the non explosiveness while loading a blast furnace has been designed. The released steel is to be utilized in the technological process to stabilize the thermic condition of a blast furnace production.
The industrial testing of home-produced slag-forming mixtures for the crystallizer of a continuous casting machine has been carried out. It allowed reducing the share of spending expensive foreign slag-forming mixtures by 30%.
The own-produced dolomitized lime in converter teeming is applied, 21.5 kg/t have been spent within 9 months of 2010; it allowed decreasing the spending of expensive magnesia pellets from 9 kg/t down to 3.6 kg/t of steel.
The technology of first slag cutting off while removing steel from a converter has been introduced. It contributed to the reduction of deoxidizers’ loss and decreased the aggressive influence of slag on the brickwork of steel-pouring ladles.
The torkreting technology of the movable mixers MP-350 was introduced which allowed increasing their endurance from 725 melting operations in 2009 up to 1003 operations in 2010.
A new technology of using calcium carbide to deoxidize metal was developed to decrease the consumption of aluminium-containing materials in steel making process. The coefficient of the substitution is 1, 2 to aluminium ingots.
The technology of thermo mechanical rolling has been developed and introduced; 67 thousand tons of strip steel grades with high consumer qualities have been rolled.
The technology of the profiling of rolled stock at the rough stand decreased metal consumption by 12 kg/t.
The mathematical model of rolling and dressing of sheets was designed. It allowed decreasing the gage variation of sheets to 0.015 mm and reducing the quantity of corrugated sheets by 2.5 times.
The program of computer-assisted accounting and identification of sheets was introduced.
The technologies of producing steel with special qualities have been implemented at Alchevsk steel works, namely flats for gas and oil pipes which are used in extreme conditions of a far north.
The corrosion resistance of flat products is achieved due to unique regimes of sheet rolling combined with the thermo treatment of sheets at the facility of accelerated cooling. Alchevsk steel mill is an exclusive world producer of separate steel grades.
The technology of polyreagent finishing of steel combined with the complex of preliminary deoxidizing of melted material with calcium carbide provides for minimizing the contents of non-metallic inclusions in steel and considerably decreases the spending of aluminium. The prime cost of steel is decreased and it becomes competitive at the world markets.
The construction of an electric power plant of a combined cycle
As part of the modernization program the construction of an electric power plant of a combined cycle has been started at Alchevsk Steel Mill. The plant consists of two blocs working on a mixture of blast-furnace, coke and converter off gases with the total capacity of 303 MWt. The project is aimed at cutting electric energy costs, decreasing the volume of harmful emissions into the atmosphere of Alchevsk including the emissions of greenhouse gases and óï2.
The assembling works at bloc №1 of an electric power plant of a combined cycle come to a close. The stage of the project’s implementation is 91% (bloc №1). 45% of assembling works have been performed at the bloc №2. The commissioning of a bloc №1 is scheduled for 2011 and bloc №2 — for 2012 correspondingly.